Sunday, April 1, 2012

Month 27 Status Report

What can I say? I make plans and then change them on the fly. My original thought for March was to watch a number of the films I have found on the internet, but time and pressure worked against me. I tended to need my laptop for work, and thus couldn't really give it over to movie watching for any length of time. On the other hand, another goal was 25 films, and I knocked out 27.

As I move on and what's left becomes a shorter and shorter list, it still seems like I have so many classics left to watch. I'm at 78 reviews for the year, which seems like a huge number for the end of March, but I still have nearly 450 to go, including a few that I've been looking forward to since the start and a few that I've been dreading.

As a personal milestone, I'm five movies away from having seen and reviewed the earliest 100 films, and I have plans to watch most (if not all) this month. There are a few other spots I need to concentrate on, and a few genres I should spend time with, but I think for now, April will simply be a month of watching whatever flits in over the transom. If I don't plan too much, I can't disappoint myself.

As a final note, I should regularly thank my librarian, Cynthia Reynolds. Once per month, she finds an obscurity for me--Pasazerka most recently, and this last time, she had to send to freakin' Amherst College to do it. Librarians are awesome people, and Cynthia is the best one I know.

5 comments:

  1. Just incredible. I would love to do what you're doing but I just can't afford the time. Actually, I might be able to (I do watch a lot of TV) but it would require a ton of discipline and I'd miss my shows. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you could do it--but at a far less break-neck pace. I'm sometimes killing myself to put up five reviews per week or so. If you watched two per week, it would be pretty manageable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have started actively seeking out some of the films, rather than just checking the book a few times a year to see how many more I had seen. For instance I watched the two experimental films that someone gave you links to in your month 26 post. I've also been watching the ones that are available on Netflix Instant, although it tends to be more the ones that are going to be disappearing. I just checked and I watched 32 films new to me in March, and almost half were from the 1,001 book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice!

    One of the things I've really enjoyed about this is that I'm discovering not just films and styles, but directors I like. There are a number of directors I will be looking at more intently when I'm done with this--Kurosawa, for instance. So far, I've loved, not liked, everything of his.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider Kurosawa one of the greatest directors there ever was, so I completely agree with you on his films. I have not seen a lot of his 31 films, but what I have seen (Rashomon, Ikiru, Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood, The Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo, High and Low, and Ran) I have all enjoyed. If you watch The Hidden Fortress someday see if it reminds you of a certain film that took place a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

      Delete